12/26/23

What do you want to eat?


One evening, I was with some friends and we were thinking about dinner. I mentioned some restaurants nearby and asked them what they really wanted to eat.

 

Normally, I really don’t care much about food while traveling. I don’t need to go to a fancy restaurant or get expensive food. I just don’t want to be so starving. However, sometimes, choosing something to eat might not be easy to decide.

 

Several years ago, I was in Barcelona, living in an apartment with the landlord. The landlord is an owner of a Chinese restaurant. One evening, I saw his mom run on the street. She told me that she was going to buy materials for cooking because they would receive a group of Chinese people who just arrived in Barcelona.

 

When I heard that, I was just wondering why those people didn’t go to a local restaurant to get some Spanish food. However, a few months later, I met a Japanese friend and I understand the reason why.

 

That Japanese friend and I were going out for dinner in Barcelona, and I asked him what he preferred to eat. He told me that he would like to get some Asian food. I asked him why he preferred to eat Asian food. He demonstrated that he had been eating a lot of Spanish food and at that moment, he just wanted to have some Asian food.

 

For me, I like to taste local food while traveling. Nonetheless, for some people, they have certain preferences on food. In particular, some people like to eat cuisine, which is similar to the country where they come from. For example, the flavor of local food might not fit their expectations or eating some home-country food will make them feel comfortable on the trip. Traveling is certainly a great thing to do and now I realize that there are a lot of ways to enjoy a trip. 

No comments: