5/18/23

Time zone


I just met a friend a few days ago. We met in high school and we have been friends since then. Additionally, we used to travel to several cities in Europe.


I wouldn’t call it an accident. However, something interesting happened while we were traveling in Vienna. In the winter, we decided to travel to Vienna. I took a flight from Barcelona to Vienna, and he came from France to Austria.


During the trip, there was an interesting problem. On the second day, my friend would ask me if I would like to have lunch. I answered that I wasn’t really hungry. However, my friend was a bit hungry and then we just ate lunch at a restaurant nearby. A few hours later, my friend asked me whether we should find a restaurant for dinner. At this time, my answer was the same.


I just didn’t understand why my friend kept asking about eating. However, I realized why after eating the dinner. Before arriving in Vienna, I already stayed in Barcelona for a while. And, I was used to having lunch at 2:00 p.m. and getting dinner after 8:00 p.m.


Well, I didn’t really care too much about food while traveling. I just don’t want to be really hungry. So, I just get some food anytime I feel hungry. However, my friend usually has a routine, which is to eat lunch and dinner at a certain time.


We discussed the differences between living in Spain and living in France. Although these 2 countries are in the same time zone, people living in these 2 countries don’t eat lunch and dinner at the same time zone. At the beginning, I didn’t understand why my friend was always asking whether we should have lunch or dinner. Then, I realized that we just came from different “time zones” and that’s something we have to adjust during a trip. 

No comments: