6/23/22

Convenience stores

Lawson Station, Tokyo

Growing up in Southeast Asia, convenience stores have been playing an important role in our life. You can easily find something you need in a convenience store and there are more and more services provided in the stores.


When I was traveling in Japan for the first time, there was a Lawson next to the apartment I lived in. I went there to get some food and drinks often. A couple of years ago, I went to Tokyo and there is a Family Mart downstairs to the hotel I stayed at. Every morning, I went to the Family Mart to grab some food for breakfast. Actually, the food in the stores is not bad. A Japanese friend told me that he goes to a 7-eleven to get food for lunch frequently.


However, convenience stores are not everywhere around the world. For example, you can easily see Lawson stores in Japan. But, you can only find 2 Lawsons in the United States and those two stores are located in Hawaii. A few years ago, I went to a city in Northeast China on a business trip. On the street, I was so surprised to see Lawson stores there.


Back then, I hadn’t seen a Lawson for a while, so I quickly went to a store, trying to see whether there’s something interesting. And, I bought some snacks as souvenirs.


Each time I travel, I always like to go to see whether there is a convenience store near the place I live and I like to see whether there is something interesting such as food or beverage. Additionally, staff that work in a convenience store in Asia are always very polite with a smile. I would like to know the differences of service in different convenience stores in each country. Some staffers in a convenience store did impress me.

No comments: