5/26/22

Iced coffee with milk


Previously, I didn’t taste coffee very often. However, after going to Europe and America, tasting coffee has been a must in my daily life.


In Spain, I usually ordered “café con leche (coffee with milk)” and a cup of hot coffee was something I frequently ordered. However, things changed after I went to America.


I went to Washington, D.C. and at the airport, I was waiting for my friend. He sent me a message to ask whether I can order a cup of iced coffee with light ice. I saw a Starbucks and went to get some coffee. Starbucks coffee is very common in the United States. When I was in the U.S., I frequently went to a Starbucks to get some iced coffee and back then, I usually added milk to coffee. In the United States, you can add milk at the condiments counter. However, the policy is not the same in each country.


When I came to a Starbucks in Spain, I had to ask a staff member to add milk while ordering. Nonetheless, when I asked a Starbucks staff in France to add some milk to coffee, a staff member looked at me confusedly. Then, with a smile, he pointed out that I could add milk at the condiments counter.


But, when I was in India, I was waiting for a flight. Before boarding, I would like to get some coffee and find a Starbucks at the airport. I ordered a cup of iced coffee with milk. The staff looked a bit unhappy, which I didn’t quite understand. Then, when I got the coffee and the receipt. It showed “café latte.”


Well, coffee with milk and café latte are definitely not the same. However, ordering a cup of coffee with milk, we might see the differences of a global chain of coffeehouses in each country. People can try to think why condiments counters are not available in some countries.

No comments: