12/21/21

You can try to speak Spanish here


It has been a while since I met a friend in Brazil. We haven’t met since then. However, a new habit was built after he told me something.


I was going to Brazil for a wedding and, after the wedding on an island, we went to Rio. I texted my friend before the trip and we decided to get some drinks. My friend told me to go to a bar. So, one evening, I took an uber to that bar. We chatted a lot that night and he asked me whether language became a problem. Well, I didn’t encounter too many problems. Then, he asked about the level of Spanish. We used to live in Spain, but my Spanish knowledge was little. However, I can speak just a little bit. My friend told me that I can try to speak Spanish in Brazil because there's something similar between Spanish and Portuguese.


After he told me that, I tried to speak Spanish a little bit and it worked sometimes. Later on, I was just thinking that it might be a good idea to study Spanish again. I review some materials in my laptop and try to understand what I still remember. Well, I didn’t remember much because I hadn’t studied for a long time. I studied occasionally and I didn’t learn much.


However, I met a friend’s relative who had worked in Spain for more than 30 years and she told me that Duolingo could be a tool. I downloaded Duolingo and began to study via this application. I’ve studied Spanish for more than 1000 days. Well, I’m not that confident in speaking Spanish. Nonetheless, I did learn more during these days.


I haven’t traveled to any Spanish-speaking countries these years, but I will keep learning. Hopefully, I can try to speak Spanish in some of those Spanish-speaking countries and enjoy traveling and exploring in these countries.

No comments: