11/16/21

Protest


I was watching a baseball game on TV in September and the game suddenly stopped. It turned out that some people were just running into the field. Protesters ran with a banner on the field and the security caught them. When I was traveling, I did see some protests on the street. The one that I couldn't forget was in 2014. I was sitting in a Starbucks in Spain and tasting a cup of iced coffee. I chose a seat next to the window, so I can see the street. Then, I heard someone yelling and maybe playing drums. The sound got louder and closer. I saw a banner with a slogan “bring back our girls”. It was the incident where schoolgirls were kidnapped in Nigeria. An incident in Nigeria and a protest in Spain, you can imagine how big the news was. Furthermore, when I was traveling in Japan, I saw someone standing on a car and giving a speech. She used a microphone to say something. It was outside of a train station. I couldn’t understand what she said, but I saw some people gathering. It just seemed that she was trying to raise awareness of something. It’s not common to see a protest on the street. But, occasionally, we might see protests on the street while traveling. Well, it’s not a bad idea to see what’s going on in that city and understand what those protesters want to convey. However, for me, it’s better to just watch. Nonetheless, the protest in Spain helped me learn that we are in a global community and there are several issues that are related to us. Things happening in a different continent might influence your country. In particular, after the outbreak of covid-19 pandemic, there are some issues that we couldn’t ignore and have to pay attention to.

No comments: