4/15/21

Souvenirs

 

Souvenirs are necessary for some people during a trip. For example, in Japan, when you return from holidays or vacation, it's customary to give souvenirs to your coworkers. I know this because some Japanese friends used to ask me to take them to some shops to buy souvenirs.


I don’t know if I’m getting old. Now, I don’t really like to buy souvenirs. The only souvenirs I buy are usually for family. However, things were very different when I began to travel.


In the beginning, I not only like to buy souvenirs, but also like to collect something weird as souvenirs. I guess that back then, I didn’t have too much knowledge of the world and everything was so fresh and interesting for me. And, I was trying to collect as many as possible to be part of my traveling memories. I really have a lot of weird things such as bags and paper coasters, which I don't really remember why I asked for them or got them.


Later on, I realize that I don’t need to collect or buy much stuff to prove that I visited this country or this city. Sometimes, a photo is good enough to summarize a great trip. And, when I clean my room, I always see something weird and I always laugh at myself because I was so dumb to collect those things as souvenirs. But, it’s a good lesson.


I just talked to a friend a few days ago and she asked me whether I could travel. Well, we still have to wait for getting vaccinated and it might take a while before we can travel without restrictions. Nonetheless, I already know what souvenirs I should prepare for some of my great friends when we meet next time. Additionally, I know that I don’t need that much in my life and I don’t really have to buy souvenirs to show that I was traveling. 

No comments: