4/1/21

Not this time

 

There will be no foreign spectators in the Tokyo Olympic games. Well, it’s not a surprise to read the news. The covid-19 pandemic is not totally under control and many people are still waiting for vaccines. It will be a huge loss for the host country, but it’s a better choice.


I won’t be able to go to Tokyo for the Olympic games this year. It’s a pity that I couldn’t watch the games, cheer for my country or applaud for the great performance. Some Japanese friends told me that they would like to host me when I visit Tokyo. But, I won’t be traveling this time. That’s all right. Many friends who would like to visit Tokyo this year will not make it. It’s a safer and better choice to watch Olympic games on TV or online.


Last February, I went to Japan and saw Tokyo's famous sky tree light up as the countdown to the Olympic and Paralympic games. Back then, I was thinking it would be truly great to watch Olympic games. However, the world has changed dramatically and our life has changed. The Olympic games were postponed, Euro 2020 was postponed and many major sports events were cancelled or delayed. Things seem to be just a little bit better because we know how serious the pandemic is and vaccines are available now. Nevertheless, it’s still far away from being totally controllable. We still have to be very careful.


I like sports and like to watch sports games/matches, but I understand that it’s a safer and better choice to watch live Olympic games in my home country. Tokyo is a cool city to travel and there are so many cool things to explore. Many friends of mine love to go to Tokyo, but we will not make it this time, this year. Nonetheless, we will wait. Until next time.

No comments: