2/11/21

Coffees

Barcelona

Coffee is basically a routine in my daily life. When traveling, I also like to taste coffee in different countries. Going to a coffee shop not only lets me taste coffee, but also helps me a lot.


When I landed in Washington, D.C. a few years ago, I was waiting for my friend at the airport. He was delayed because of the security check and texted me to buy some coffee. I went to a world-renown coffee store there and asked for two cups of iced coffee with light ice. The staff answered no, I was like, what? No?

And I repeated again, “I need two cups of iced coffee with light ice.” He answered no again. Then he saw me in doubt and said that he was just joking. Well, good job. It was pretty fun. However, sometimes it wasn’t like this. Also at the airport, but in a different country, I was asking for a cup of coffee with milk. But the guy gave me a cup of latte. Well, for me, coffee with milk is not latte. Latte is something totally different.


There was one time. When I was in Spain, I asked for a cup of coffee at a café in the metro station. The lady quickly made a cup of coffee, but I didn’t have any changes. All I had was a 50-euro note, I gave her and she had no ideas what to do because she didn’t have enough changes. Then she said fine. I got my coffee and then jumped on a metro. The next day, I came to pay and she looked surprised.


Tasting a cup of coffee has been a routine when I travel. Sometimes, I go to a local café and taste a cup of coffee that’s exclusively available locally. Sometimes, I go to a multinational or national coffeehouse, there are also good coffees or beverages available. Meanwhile, some friends and family love to collect things such as city mugs, so I have to buy something as a souvenir. One more thing, going to a café really helps me a lot. Sometimes, I have to go to the toilet and in Europe, you have to pay for going to a toilet. So I usually go to a café and I can truly take a break, enjoy a cup of coffee and get my job done. At the same time, if there is wifi, I can upload some photos and share with my friends.

No comments: