12/22/20

Travel in the winter

Born in a subtropical country in Southeast Asia, enjoying the sunshine is always a great thing to do. You can travel around the country in four different seasons without too many problems. However, things are different in other countries. It might not be a good idea to travel in some countries in certain months.

The first time I saw snow was when I traveled with some friends in Japan. In the early morning, a friend told us that it was snowing. I was truly surprised to open the window and see snowing. It’s really hard to explain how I was feeling when I first saw snow. I took some photos for this moment. Later on, I went out with my friends to get breakfast and see snow on the street.



After breakfast, we went to a park by metro and took some photos. For us, it was amazing to see everything in white. Also, we wanted to share these great moments on social media. 


Every time I thought of that trip, it was full of great memories. However, as I have more experience in traveling, traveling in the winter might not always be a good idea. Sometimes, it could cause some nightmares.  


A few years ago, I had to go to Boston for a conference. Two days before the conference, I received an email, which indicated that the flight was cancelled due to snow and I had no choices but to book another flight. Thankfully, I booked another flight and arrived in Boston.


After the conference, I went back to the guesthouse and received a notice, which was saying that there was no hot water because of some cold weather plumbing problems. But the heater still worked, well life wasn’t that bad.


The next day, I went to the airport and checked in successfully. While I was waiting at the gate, an announcement indicated that the flight was cancelled. I was shocked and didn’t know what to do. I was trying to book another flight, but it was too expensive. No other better choices, I had to stay in Boston for one more night and take the flight that would be scheduled to take off in the next morning.

I didn’t know where to live and called lots of friends to help me. Luckily, a friend could host me. Then I took the train with my heavy luggage to my friend’s place.


The first time I saw snow, it was really fun. Nonetheless, when snowing causes some troubles during a trip, it wasn’t fun. It's necessary to watch the weather forecast carefully and know what to prepare before the trip. Meanwhile, you might need a plan B if there is something unexpected. Also, it’s always important to make more friends. 

No comments: