8/24/23

Commission fee


It was around 8 or 9 p.m., I was walking on the street in Eastern Europe. In some areas, there wasn’t light. I had to meet someone who’s managing a guesthouse. Roaming service wasn’t available and I didn’t have any connection to the Internet.

I just kept walking and didn’t see anyone on the street. Then, I saw a restaurant. I came into the restaurant and asked a staffer whether I could use the wifi of the restaurant. The staffer was very nice and helped me enter the password. I quickly texted the guesthouse manager and asked him to come to the restaurant. Thankfully, he arrived in just a few minutes and we went to the guest house.

The guesthouse was in an old town center and I was the first guest that night. I talked to the guest house manager a bit. Then, he asked me to pay for the rent. However, the amount of the money he was asking for wasn’t correct. I asked him why and he indicated that, usually, there's a commission fee. Well, it was late and I couldn’t go to other hotels or guesthouses. The commission fee that he asked for wasn’t huge, so I decided to pay.

The next morning, I saw some other guests coming in and in the afternoon, some other visitors arrived. I just came back from old town and met some new friends in the guesthouse. We were just talking about the place we stayed and one guy said that this place was just so weird, so was the manager. Nonetheless, thankfully, we didn’t stay too long in the place. The next day, we all left.

This is just something weird happening during a trip. But, fortunately, it didn’t cause a huge problem. It’s fine for me to pay a commission fee if the information was disclosed on the website or in the email. Anyway, it’s just something I learn from traveling. After this accident, I do pay more attention to booking a place to stay. 

No comments: