1/14/21

Taking a bus

New York

There are many ways to travel, you can drive, you can take a train and so on. Due to budget constraints, I chose to take a bus several times and it wasn’t that bad. Sometimes, I took a night bus and the next day I woke up in a different city. Sometimes, it’s a 4-hour or 5-hour long bus to take me to another city.

It was my first time to arrive in the United States. I was waiting for a bus at the Boston Airport. In February, it was pretty cold in Boston. I got on the bus and arrived at the bus station, waiting for another bus to take me to New York. The bus arrived and I was ready to get on.

“Any seats available?” I asked the bus driver.

“Yes, but don’t take my seat.” The bus driver replied.

I laughed and sat on a window seat. I was tired after flying from Europe to the U.S.A. and did sleep deeply on the bus. When I woke up, the bus was close to Times Square and we were about to get off soon. When I got off, I said thank you to the bus driver and he wished me good luck in New York.


Another time, I was taking a bus in Croatia. The journey would take around 5 or 6 hours. I was preparing for an interview on the bus since I got an important interview invitation. I was actually nervous and afraid to make any mistakes. After a while, the bus stopped to let the passengers get off and go to the toilet. I bought some water and some snacks so I wouldn't be too hungry or thirsty. I was preparing and trying to write down my answers to some frequently asked interview questions. I ate some snacks and asked a girl who sat next to me to see if she wanted some snacks. She said no, but asked what I was doing. Then we chatted a bit and she told me that she was a teacher. She told me something that she hated about the communist party. And she asked me if I knew Croatian. I replied no, then she told me some words in Croatian and those words are still in my notebook.


Traveling by taking a bus is not a bad idea since it’s one of affordable options for many people. It usually takes time, but you can enjoy different views on the road. I usually sleep on the bus and in this way, I will gain some energy back. But sometimes I couldn’t sleep well on the bus and it would be a nightmare. I usually missed a half day because I had to sleep a bit to get energy back.

No comments: